Thursday, June 13, 2013

Yarn Braids Info

Hello Beautiful People!
I recently installed my very first yarn braids and I wanted to share the experience with you all. So let's get down to it!
image
image
image

1. What are yarn braids?
Yarn braids are braided extensions that use yarn (yes ACTUAL yarn...like the type your grandma used to make adorable crocheted berets, scarves and mittens) in the place of human or synthetic hair.
2. What kind of yarn do I use?
The recommended brand is Red Heart and only use acrylic yarn. Cotton yarn can really suck out the moisture from your natural hair and damage it.
3. Do I need to go to a professional to install yarn braids?
NO! That's the beauty of yarn! It's much easier to work with than actual hair. However, if this is your first time ever braiding any type of extensions and you are not sure how to install them, go to a pro or trusted friend. The only downside to that is that you're shelling out extra cash.
4. How much do they cost?
A Red Heart super saver roll of yarn costs anywhere from $2 to $3 depending on where you buy it. I bought my yarn from Michael's for $2.99 a roll (I only bought 3 rolls, and used 1 1/2) but they do sell the yarn at Walmart for cheaper.
All in all, I only spent $9.00 on yarn.
5. How long do they take to install?
This was my first time installing my own braided extensions. It took me 15 hours total (split between 3 days) to finish my entire head. I work and go to school, so I couldn't really sit there for an entire day to finish in one setting. Plus, your hands will get tired and start to cramp up, so I recommend taking a break every now and then.
6. How long does my hair have to be to do this?
Let's just put it this way, I did my big chop in February, and only had about 3 - 4 1/2 inches of hair on my head. With shorter hair, be mindful to make smaller sections to braid. Larger braids will slip out easily.
7. How long can I keep them in?
I intend on keeping mine in for 3 months. This will include touching up and re-braiding any loose braids every once in a while.
8. Can I wash my hair with yarn braids installed?
Yes. You can still stick to your weekly/biweekly hair care regimen. Just be careful not to scrub too hard or pull on any of the braids so they don't become loose.
9. Can I curl yarn braids?
Yes you can, I'll make a separate more detailed post about how to do that :)
10. Anything Else I should know about these fabulous yarn braids?
One of the biggest things I can say is while yarn braids are incredibly cost-effective, like I said before...it took me 15 hours to do them. BUT, do I think it's worth it? Absolutely. Normally getting my hair done with synthetic/human hair by a professional would cost me anywhere from $130 - $170. Compared to $7 - $10 I saved ALOT of pesos.
Stay tuned for my next video on how I installed the yarn braids and my next post/ video on how I curled them!
x o x o
-A

4 comments:

  1. Can you dye the ends of your hair braids? If some what type of dye do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The acrylic yarn comes in many different colors, so you wouldn't need to dye it

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete